The types of information we collect from you
The information we have about you includes such things as who you are, how you use our services and products and how you pay for our services.
Who you are includes:
- Your name, age gender, name, address, interests, preferences, etc.
- Your debit or credit card details, bank details and other payment information.
How you use our services and products includes:
- Your message, call and billing records.
The reasons we collect your personal information for
We collect information from you or your business to help manage your account:
- To deliver services and products that are relevant to you whether we directly provide them or not.
- To improve our services and products or develop new ones.
- To manage our network and help us run and grow our business.
We also collect information so we can tell you about our services and products, other businesses’ services and products or allow selected partners to tell you directly about their services or products.
The places we get your information from
We collect information mainly when you contact us and when you use our services and products.
For instance when you:
- Register as or enquire about becoming our customer or take part in market research.
- Get in touch with us to ask something.
- Buy from us: whether it’s in a KINOKAMARI shop, online, over the phone or somewhere else.
- Submit content including photographs or comments to participate in discussion threads.
- Make changes to, or close your Caribou account.
- Enter any promotions, competitions or surveys.
- Go to our website or the sites of any other associated companies or websites used for market research purposes.
- Sign up for a service with us that means we need to check with credit reference and fraud prevention agencies.
- Apply for a job to us online.
If we need to conduct a credit check, we will receive information from credit reference agencies. If you take part in market research for us we will also collect information from the third party website or social media you access from our websites, in accordance with the privacy policies of those respective websites and social media.
The ways in which we use your information
We use and analyse your information to keep in touch with you and to supply and improve our services and products. We will also use your information to tell you about services and products that we think may interest you.
In particular, this means using your information to:
- Manage your account and help you to manage your account.
- Sort out a payment, put your order through our system or send you an order.
- Get in touch with you (e.g. if we need to tell you about any problems with a service).
- Look at markets, write reports or carry out research and number crunching. If the law allows it, look at information about you including the calls you make.
- Keep things secure and prevent crime and fraud.
- Look into any complaints or questions you may raise.
- Check whether you qualify for credit or other products, services and offers. We use automated systems to analyse your information to help us make fair and objective decisions about whether we can give you (and members of your household) credit, credit-related services, other similar facilities or insurance. As part of this we may also need to check the financial status of people connected to you (e.g. your spouse or other family members). Trace and recover debts, manage credit, detect and prevent fraud and money laundering.
- Trace and recover debts, manage credit, detect and prevent fraud and money laundering
- Recover any money you might owe us.
- Assign your debt to permitted third parties and look after any credit you might have.
- Tell you if we have changed the way a service works, or tell you about a new service that we think may interest you
- Check what you are interested in or eligible for, so we can offer (and develop) relevant services, products or surveys.
- Improve our (and third party partner) services and products and develop new ones.
- Send you information about our services or products (or those from selected third parties we think you would be interested in) by phone, post, email, text, picture message, online banner advertising, or other ways.
- Tell you about products and services from other companies we think you would be interested in or let selected third parties tell you directly about their services and products.
We are allowed to use your information in these ways and share the information as described below because:
- We need to so that we can provide you with services and products and to manage your account with us.
- We need to use some of your information to comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
- Some of our use of your information is necessary for our legitimate business interests (such as conducting market research and minimising our credit and fraud risks).
- You have given your consent to us using your data in relation to some forms of use. For example, in relation to using your information to send you marketing messages. You can opt out of this at any time.
- You have obtained consent from any third parties whose personal or sensitive information you provided to us in your application for and / or performance of our services and products for us to receive and process that information for those purposes.
The ways in which we share your information
In connection with the purposes described above, we may share your information with others.
This might mean sharing that information with:
- Our partner companies or agencies and their sub-contractors or prospective partners who help us run our services.
- Other companies in the Caribou, Inc. Group. This includes, KINOKAMARI and their respective partners, agents and sub-contractors.
- Insurance providers when you take out a policy through us.
- Third parties whose products and services we market to you (where you have given permission to receive such messages).
- Third parties whose offers you sign up to.
- Credit reference and fraud prevention agencies. When we check your credit score with a credit reference agency, the information that we give them (including details of your credit application and financial details) as well as the fact that we have requested that search will also be recorded by the credit reference agency. We exchange information with credit reference agencies on payment performance and your financial situation on an ongoing basis and this information could be used by us and third parties to make future credit assessment decisions. Your data will also be linked to the data of your spouse, any joint applicants or other financial associate.
- Other communications companies.
- New or prospective owners of Caribou, Inc.
We might also share your information:
- With any public authority or law enforcement agency if they ask for it.
- To comply with law or regulations, or for possible legal proceedings.
- If you give us personal information that’s wrong or we find out (or think) you are responsible for fraud. In these circumstances we might share your information with third parties such as law enforcement agencies, credit reference agencies and other affected third parties.
- If one of our partners who are processing information for us are compelled to do so by law.
- If there is an emergency and we think you or other people are at risk.
The reasons we keep hold of your information
There are certain reasons we have to keep hold of your information.
We keep information while you are our customer or after you have left us, but only as long as we need it for the purposes described above. How long we keep it depends very much on the type of information and purpose.
For example, we might need to sort out disagreements, stop fraud and abuse, prove that you had an account with us or follow our legal obligations or else the police may need it as evidence. We may also keep information about how you use our services or products.
In each case, the length of time that we or credit reference of fraud prevention agencies, need to keep the information may be different, but we will only keep the information for as long as we need it.
About your rights
You as our customer have a number of legal rights in relation to the information that we hold about you, including:
- The right to request details of the information we have about you.
- In some circumstances, you have the right to receive some of your information in a usable format and/or request we transmit that data to a third party where this is technically feasible. Please note that this right only applies to information which you have provided to us.
- The right to ask that we update your information if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to ask that we erase your information in certain circumstances. Please note that there may be circumstances where you ask us to erase your information but we are legally entitled to retain it.
- The right to request that we restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances. Again, there may be circumstances where you ask us to restrict the processing of your information, but we are legally entitled to refuse that request.